Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Took a trip to the U.P. of Michigan


As Al drove up to my brothers farm, I was able to get some hand stitching done. These 1930 reproduction fabrics are becoming hexie flowers for a medallion quilt. 


I packed plenty of fabrics but forgot to grab extra hexagon papers so I had to resort to cutting up flyers and magazine covers... Not pretty but it works!


My brothers farm needs LOTS of work to get it producing like he wants. He's still in the process of repairing outbuildings and planning fields. 


Potatoes were planted in the spring, then neglected till now because he works full time in Detroit. This will become a retirement farm for him. In the meantime, my sister and I will harvest, can and freeze some of the fruits and veggies. 


I worked on one long row and two short rows to get these beauties. The plants could REALLY use more growing time so we'll be back in a month to dig the rest.


These are just a small amount of the potatoes....we wanted to try all the varieties. Purple potatoes are a new thing for me... I haven't ever had a chance to try these and was very surprised at how creamy and good they were.


After we came home I had a chance to work on my Double Nine patch blocks. As of today, I have eight blocks left to make :)  seeing a light at the end of the tunnel!

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I love the UP. My son lives in Marquette. My parents lived not far from Newberry. Where abouts is your brother's farm. Your flower blocks look good. Hugs

Bridget said...

is your brother a yooper? I live under the bridge...There are some great quilt shops up there...

Northern Deb said...

My three brothers bought a retirement/summer farm near escanaba. Pretty area and great fishing. I noticed the quilt shops but haven't had enough time to explore...one of these days👍

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...