Friday, November 1, 2013

Making something out of nothing

Yesterday I had a little time before Al and I headed to Jenn's house to help pass out candy for Halloween. There were a couple of blocks that needed finishing up and one that needed applique pieces basted to it so that I could hand stitch them down on our way to Traverse City... it takes us about an hour. Usually I grab some hand sewing so that I'm not bored in the car.
 
 
Well, finished up preparing that and still had some time to spare. I was looking at this pile of trash and thought... wonder if I could make something from that... kind of a challenge to myself.
 
So I started a crazy quilt block... just adding one piece next to another and another (even putting in some of the selvages) until I had a nice big piece.
 
Trimmed it down to an 8-1/2" square.
 
Well, now what? Thought about putting into my box of orphan blocks (yes, I have a box of those) but I still had time before we were leaving so I decided it would make a cute mug rug for my sewing room.
 
I kind of have a Dr. Seuss theme going in there... a Dr. Seuss quilt my sister made me... a matching pillow my sister made ... a Dr. Seuss picture frame my sister bought me (huh, seems to be a theme here too :).. a bunch of Dr. Seuss books and stuffed animals..  YUP, needed a matching mug rug.
 
I dug through my scraps of batting (yes, I save all of those too).
 
 
 And dug through my leftover panel pieces to come up with a backing piece (looks like a picture of Al and I waiting for the kids to visit)...
 
Gave it a quick quilting...
Then dug through my leftover binding pieces (got a box of those too)...
 
and ended up with this:
 
 Stitched the binding down on the way to Jenn's house......
 
SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING :)
 
And here's the funniest part. Al saw it and said "you're not giving that away, are you?.. It's too nice".
Sometimes I could just kiss that man!

2 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

That is too cute - and reversable, too! Good use of some great scraps. AND I save all those same bits you do.

Karen said...

You stretched your imagination and came up with something fun. And used your time wisely. Myself, I would have dumped the scraps into a bag and donated it to the church thrift store for someone else to play with.

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...