Monday, April 30, 2012

FIND!

I was downstate recently to be with mom during and after her surgery. One day, after visiting with her, I met with daughter Lisa and together we stopped at a few garage sales plus an antique shop. This wonderful old hand-quilted quilt was for sale for $15!














There are a few issues with it but those are mostly around the edges. It needs new binding and a few blocks need repair. I'm going to take off the last two rows on one side... those are in very bad condition and then I'll rebind the whole quilt. The "batting" is a piece of flannel so this quilt is very nice and light.

The pattern is called London Stairs. I looked it up in a quilt block book.



Here is one of the seams that is falling apart but it's easy to repair.














The back is in good but worn condition but good enough to add to the end of a bed to brighten a room.

It's charming, isn't it? This is a closeup of some of the nicer blocks and the very fine hand quilting.

There are a few other things I'd like to post about but I'll wait till tomorrow. One of them is a bag of old star blocks that my sister found at an estate sale.
I plan to applique them to a plain background.
Pics to come...... 

1 comment:

Jeannette said...

I found a quilt top at a garage sale recently...the woman came out and began telling me square by square where she lived when she got the fabric... she was about to move out into the unknown after many years in a little town. She didn't want to part with the quilt, but she said she needed to lighten up...she had started it for her daughter who didn't want it...who would never live in the town again and...well the quilt needed a home. She said she had peace now that she knew I knew something about the quilt's story and how she labored over it...

reclaimed quilts, rebinding, finishing, there is something about it...a special kind of sisterhood, a recognition beyond shape, color and stitch after stitch.

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...