Monday, January 30, 2012

Pin Basting my "Modern Quilt"

Pin basting is one of those necessary evils that are a part of quiltmaking ... unless of course you ship it off to a longarm quilter or have another way of basting.

For the most part I like to quilt my own quilts, especially if it is a baby-sized one like this. Last night as I was pinning, Al said he was surprised by the amount of pins I use... this quilt doesn't hide them. I thought there might be more quilters out there wondering how many pins are needed to hold the quilt together.... and my usual answer is put in lots and when you think you have enough, add more.
BUT I figured a picture is worth a thousand words. I counted about 14 pins per 12" block so I'm guessing that there are probably about 200 pins in this. If I don't OVER pin my quilts, I end up with puckered parts when I flip it over and if this has ever happenned to you, you know how it makes your heart sink! You can't just take out stitches... you would be picking them out forever... You have to hide the pucker (put the label over it) or live with it. I'd rather put in more pins.
There is a tool sold at many quilt shops that helps with the pinning. It's called the KWIK-KLIP. It has a wooden handle and a small metal piece sticking out at one end. I wouldn't pin without it.... it has saved my fingertips.
OH, and one more thing... sometimes it goes without saying but sometimes not....use SAFETY PINS for pin basting not straight pins. Your hands will thank you!

4 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Sweetie - I pin a lot!! That would be the 'norm' for stitching in a hand-baste to hold the quilt so why not that many pins?

Barb H said...

Deb, I'm with you--the more pins the better. I, too, learned the hard way that skimping on the pinning will give me puckers where I don't want them. Kind of like the cellulite on my thighs. LOL I use my stiletto to close the pins or even a pen (with the ink tip retracted). Never tried spray basting--I don't think it would work too well on a bedsized quilt.

Kim said...

So how do you remove your pins?
Do you wait until you are nearly ready to sew over them or do you plan a pattern around them?
what is you favorite quilting pattern?

I just finished quilting my first small quilt, usually they go out to my longarmer :0)

Happy Sewing

Northern Deb said...

Kim, I remove them as I come to them but I'm careful about where I put them to begin with. Usually I stay away from where I know I will be doing stitch-in-the-ditch quilting or anywhere I'm doing straight stitching. I can't usually plan to much around them since I decide much of the quilting as I'm doing it.
My favorite quilting is free-motion stipple or meander. But I also enjoy doing vines and leaves. I haven't tried feathering yet but love the way it looks.
Congrats on your first little quilt!

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...